October 22. 2014
The European leg of the world tour starts tonight.
Leuven, Belgium I sure hope you’re as welcoming and rad a crowd
as you are a delightful and stunning town.
You’ve got a tough act to follow…
October 20, 2014
Headed out to catch a flight for Belgium
unable to deny the sneaky separation anxiety cropped up
from leaving South Africa, and the Indian Ocean,
and from Tiny and Thabiso and Q,
and from Thuli and Page
who let me make myself at home in their laughter.
The text I wrote for the collaboration with
Durban photographer Mark Lanning says,
“We become mountains
scalloped in the floors of daybreak
buried in the landscape
breathing like an epitaph bearing the words,
‘God is everything happening at once.’”
October 8, 2014
Let your head
climb back down through your throat
and into your body
so it can see just how good you look
when you’re not compared to anything.
September 29, 2014
Yesterday at Shoko Festival’s Peace in the Hood free concert in Chitungwiza
there were b-boys who used the dirt at sundown, no cardboard,
and were as good as any I’ve ever seen, before they turned into dust in the headlights.
Goose bump epic.
This morning I met Moyo, the baby rescue elephant who wanted to play.
And Pickles the Wart Hog who prefers his belly scratched.
Both were at the Wild is Life, Grand Zimbabwe wildlife sanctuary
where this baby giraffe munched on over and got in on the love.
Went straight from there to catch a flight to Johannesburg
where I just finished dinner with the Word N Sound Poetry and Live Music Series crew.
Shoko Festival, Dikson, Wadzie, Nikita, Sam, Lauren, Bex, Roxy, Thabiso, Tabs, Q…
Top of the charts. Thank you for the last 48 hours. Y’all are the real goods.
There’s a thunder storm right now and it’s all I can do to not break into Toto….
September 25, 2014
Australia, I will miss you heaps.
Thank goodness I did not see a kangaroo; means I gotta come back.
For now I can stop spending all my spare time scanning the landscape for
anything that appears to be hopping, or occasionally disemboweling people;
I’m in Africa now, wild-eyed and wandering.
See you Saturday.
PS The abandoned crib in the lonesome hallway beyond the open door
next to my room at the hotel is tryin to get all haunted up in my Zimbabwe visit.
PPS Airplanes with ash trays in the arm rests
make me think the mechanic is still real good at his/her job.
September 4, 2014
Sydney, New South Wales, You have returned me to the time of my life.
A forever-sized hug to this city and the people in it,
to Word Travels for booking this leg of the tour,
and especially Anne Marie, Pip, Lucky and Jacob,
my open-armed Dulwich Hill housemates
who gave me three weeks of home home home.
It is my last day in Sydney before flying to Brisbane in the morning
and I am not eager to pack.
Sydney, you’re 100% in my book. In all the books.
There are too many smilin’ moments to detail,
like seeing sunset from the shower;
or strollin’ up on that fig tree with Carlos Hornibrook,
and Gilgamesh holding a lion.
Gilgamesh holding a lion.
I cannot wait to be a writer again.
August 26, 2014
Saw the Sydney Opera House
and a foosball sculpture that the guys were playing behind me
and the Pacific Ocean from an East coast
and the world’s steepest railway down Blue Mountains with the fellas
and an Ibis on a dumpster
but I’ve not seen a single kangaroo, koala
or glaring difference in the human condition.
August 19, 2014
Eight months into Riled Up and Wasted On Light – Buddy Wakefield’s 2014-15 World Tour (Skipping Chechnya) and still going strong. Here’s the what’s up:
1) There are birds outside my room in Sydney that sound startlingly akin to a cat in heat. Pay no mind, the people are super stinkin’ friendly.
2) There are FIVE new t-shirt designs and a new poster available on www.buddywakefield.com/merchandise/.
3) If interested in booking a Buddy Wakefield show, the final leg of the tour runs late January through March 2015 on the U.S. East Coast (Maine all the way down to Florida). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information, available dates, and pricing on workshops and performances. There are also dates available in Europe/U.K, late October 2014 through mid-January 2015.
4) There is no such thing as a massive spider in Australia. There is no such thing as a massive spider crawling into the bathroom in Australia. There is no such thing as a massive hand-sized spider crawling into the bathroom in Australia. There is no such thing as a massive hand-sized spider with friends in Australia. There is no such thing as a straight jacket for screamers. There is no….
5) The full list of dates for Europe and Africa have not been released yet (keep checking back!), but the Australia dates are all posted on www.buddywakefield.com/tour-info.
6) I can hardly wait to join up with Anis Mojgani at two of the Australian shows. He’s awesome as peanut butter. The presence of a friend like Anis (or peanut butter, or you) sure helps keep me bright-eyed on the road. Come visit.
Buddy Wakefield – Official Page